I’m breaking my usual format today to give 10 poisoning prevention tips for Halloween.
- In this episode, I mention things that may not be suitable for children to hear. Listener discretion is advised.
- I do not work for the Poison Help Line or a Poison Center, but many of the messages in this episode come from various poison center instagram pages that I follow. It’s all great info!
10 poisoning prevention tips for Halloween 2022
- Carefully check all candy.
- Only eat treats in their original, unopened wrappers.
- Only eat homemade treats made by someone you know and trust.
- Protect your pets. Keep treats out of sight and out of reach of animals.
- Avoid non-prescription colored contact lenses (also called “costume contact lenses,” “decorative contact lenses” or “cosmetic contact lenses”). The US Food and Drug Administration considers contact lenses to be medical devices, and contact lenses are banned from being sold by non-licensed vendors. Unregulated cosmetic contacts are risky and may lead to serious eye problems or even vision loss.
- Alcohol and medicine can be a scary combination. (Alcohol and medications were not meant to be taken together.) This applies to adults and curious teens who sneak drinks.
- Cannabis and CBD edibles may look like candy to children (for example, gummies). Keep edibles out of sight and out of reach of curious children and pets.
- If someone ingests glow stick liquid, you can call the poison help line for support.
- If you have a party, curious visitors might go through your medicine cabinet. Keep medicines locked up or move them away from areas that your guests may use (like the kitchen or bathrooms). If you have expired, unwanted, or unused medications laying around, get them out of the house before the party. Drug take-back days and drug take-back programs at police stations, pharmacies, and other healthcare facilities are great opportunities for safe disposal.
- The poison help line is 1-800-222-1222. Trained professionals will take your call and help you right away. Don’t waste time. Skip the google search. Call for help.
Thank you for listening to episode 182 of The Pharmacist’s Voice ® Podcast!
Links from this episode
The Litigators by John Grisham
🖥Check out Kim’s websites, and connect with her on social media!
✅Business website https://www.thepharmacistsvoice.com
✅The Pharmacist’s Voice ® Podcast https://www.thepharmacistsvoice.com/podcast
✅Pronounce Drug Names Like a Pro © Online Course https://www.kimnewlove.com
✅ACX (Audiobook Narrator Profile) https://www.acx.com/narrator?p=A10FSORRTANJ4Z
Subscribe to or Follow The Pharmacist’s Voice Podcast!