Today I’m the guest on my podcast! I have a new online course coming out this fall called A Behind-The-Scenes Look at The Pharmacist’s Voice ® Podcast. Instead of making this a solo episode where I talk about the course alone, I invited my friend, Alex Barker PharmD (Founder of The Happy PharmD) to interview me about the course. (THANK YOU ALEX!) If you’re a pharmacist who is interested in starting a podcast, you need to listen to this episode.
My Back-to-School Series features interviews with 9 pharmacists who teach online courses. Since it’s back-to-school time for my kids, I created a Back-to-School series for my podcast! Check out the series, and get inspired to either learn or create!
Bio – Kim Newlove
Kim Newlove is a pharmacist, voice actor, podcast host, wife, Mom of 2 teenagers, and volunteer. She and her family live in the greater Toledo, OH area.
Kim earned her Bachelor of Science Degree in Pharmacy from The University of Toledo College of Pharmacy in 2001, and is an Ohio pharmacist. She founded The Pharmacist’s Voice ®, LLC in 2017, and launched The Pharmacist’s Voice ® Podcast in 2019. Her website is https://www.thepharmacistsvoice.com.
Kim brings her years of expertise as a pharmacist to her audiobook and voiceover projects. Among other things, she narrates audiobooks for women pharmacist authors, provides medical narration to clients in the pharmaceutical and biotech industries, and narrates content for explainer videos and eLearning projects. Her delivery style is confident and trustworthy.
The Pharmacist’s Voice ® Podcast is a weekly podcast. It’s available at thepharmacistsvoice.com and on all major podcast players. Kim’s solo episodes are about some aspect of being a pharmacist, a voice actor, a pharmacist podcaster, or her career transition from pharmacist to voice actor and podcast host. Interview shows feature a variety of people who use their voices to advocate for something, educate in some way, or entertain so that her listeners are inspired to use their voices too.
In her spare time, Kim enjoys spending time with family, playing Ticket to Ride Switzerland, swimming, and riding her BMW motorbike.
Links from this episode
Alex Barker, PharmD on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-barker-pharmd/
The Happy PharmD website thehappypharmd.com
Podcast Movement (podcasting conference)
Kim’s business website https://www.thepharmacistsvoice.com
The Pharmacist’s Voice ® Podcast https://www.thepharmacistsvoice.com/podcast
Pronounce Drug Names Like a Pro © Online Course https://www.kimnewlove.com
ACX (Audiobook Narrator Profile – Kim Newlove) https://www.acx.com/narrator?p=A10FSORRTANJ4Z
Highlights from our conversation
Dr. Alex Barker lives in Michigan. He and his family have a young Corgi puppy. Alex founded a career coaching and curriculum development company named The Happy PharmD. They help pharmacists and students get into jobs that they love in pharmacy. They change lives, save marriages and families, and fight against mental health crisis in the workplace. Alex loves his job and is “a happy PharmD.” He will be on The Pharmacist’s Voice Podcast September 23, 2022 for a full interview about the many ways he uses his voice as an advocate, educator, and entertainer.
During our conversation, we talked about
- Why I am creating A Behind-The-Scenes Look at The Pharmacist’s Voice ® Podcast.
- Why I’m qualified to teach the course
- The target audience for the course
- The target launch time for the course
- Where to find the course
- What the course does vs what people think it does
- The 14 modules in the course
- The podcast blueprint each participant will create by the end of the course.
- Mindset: a podcast is a recipe, not a statue.
- Interacting with your podcast audience can lead to great ideas and guests. For example, I created a series around Women Pharmacists in the Beauty Space because of a fun guest who is both a pharmacist and a makeup artist. That series was during my birthday month = July!)
- Podcasters are gregarious
- I’m considering coaching/mentoring/consulting pharmacists who want to start a podcast either one-on-one (60 days/$997) or in small groups of 4 students (12 weeks/$497)
- There are 14 modules in the course. Length (number of hours to complete) is unknown as of August 31, 2022.
- The course will be self-paced.
- The first 20 students will beta test the course for $50 each. The price will go up after beta testers give feedback.
If you’re struggling with the decision to start a podcast or not, keep my online course in mind. The biggest benefit of the course is that you will decide whether you want to start a podcast or not. I know how distracting it can be to see “Start a podcast” on your to-do list for months or years. You just need to decide if you want to move on or do the thing! I get it. I was there in April 2019. I had to make the decision too. More than 170 podcast episodes later, I’m glad I chose to start my podcast.
If you choose NOT to start a podcast, you will save hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars on equipment and tools, and you will save many hours of your time, which you could spend working on other goals.
Thank you for listening to my Back-to-School Series on The Pharmacist’s Voice Podcast. If you missed any of the interviews, please go to https://www.thepharmacistsvoice.com, click the podcast tab, and look at episodes 165 through 174. Episode 165 was the intro, and all the others in that 166-174 range feature pharmacists who teach online.
Pharmacists and courses in the Back-to-School Series on The Pharmacist’s Voice ® Podcast
- Dr. Beju Shah, Pharmacy Informatics Academy (Episode 166)
- Dr. Blair Thielemier, Pharmapreneur Academy (Episode 167)
- Dr. Jimmy Pruitt, Pharmacy and Acute Care University (Episode 168)
- Dr. Asha Bohannon, Impact Pharmacist Online Program & PGX Ally Program (Episode 169)
- Dr. Adam Martin, Script Your Brand Online Course (Episode 170)
- Dr. Kelley Carlstrom, PharmD, Enjoy Learning Oncology Courses (ELO) (Note: there are three tiers of this course) (Episode 171)
- Dr. Stu Beatty, The Pharmacist Provider (New online course launching in Sept 2022) (Episode 172)
- Dr. Ashley Walker, Speed Signing with Dr. Ashley R. Walker (She teaches American Sign Language ) and Preparing for OTC Hearing Aids. (Episode 173)
- Kim Newlove, RPh. A Behind-the-Scenes Look at The Pharmacist’s Voice ® Podcast (Episode 174)
Thank you for listening to episode 174 of The Pharmacist’s Voice ® Podcast!