What happens when you put two Ohio pharmacists together for a podcast episode? You get a great conversation! In this episode, Ohio pharmacist Stu Beatty, PharmD talks to Ohio pharmacist and podcast host Kim Newlove, RPh about The Pharmacist Provider online training program. If you’re interested in providing reimbursable services to your patients regardless of practice setting, you need to listen to this episode!
My Back-to-School Series features interviews with 9 pharmacists who teach online courses. Since it’s back-to-school time for my kids, I created a Back-to-School series for my podcast! Check out the series, and get inspired to either learn or create!
Bio – Stuart Beatty, Pharm.D., BCACP, FAPhA
Stuart Beatty has been a leader in training students and pharmacy residents in ambulatory care settings for nearly two decades. He has taught and practiced alongside physicians at a large academic medical center undergoing primary care transformation. This experience allowed him to learn gaps that currently exist in primary care and that pharmacists can help fill these gaps with their robust knowledge of medications. He helps lead pharmacist provider status efforts in Ohio working with pharmacists in multiple practice settings and helping payers realize the impact of pharmacists. These efforts have led him to launch both The Pharmacist Provider, an online training program for pharmacists, and Strategic Pharmacy Initiatives, LLC, a consulting company aimed at helping pharmacists capitalize on existing opportunities and incentives to better care for their patients.
Stu earned his Pharm.D., with Distinction, from the Ohio Northern University Raabe College of Pharmacy in Ada, Ohio. He is a Board-Certified Ambulatory Care Pharmacist and a Fellow of the American Pharmacists Association.
Links from this episode
Strategic Pharmacy Initiatives, LLC http://strategicpharmacyinitiatives.com
The Pharmacist Provider. https://www.thepharmacistprovider.com
Stu Beatty, PharmD on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/stuart-beatty-ab6a31a5/
Highlights from our conversation
The Pharmacist Provider online training program is designed for adult learners. Features:
- 10 recorded sessions, roughly 20-30 minutes in length. Although total time to view the content is ~ 5 hours, it will take you longer to implement what you learned. According to Stu, the program is meant to be application-based.
- Learning is self-paced, but there is a recommended order of completion.
- Working pharmacists are ideal clients for this training program.
- ACPE accredited CPE is available for pharmacists.
- The information can be used by pharmacists in any state.
- There are some interactive pieces.
- There is a worksheet that goes along with all of the sessions.
- Topics covered in the program include:
- How to start a service
- Billing and biling codes
- Getting reimbursed for your service
- Motivational interviewing documentation
Why take this course instead of going the self-taught route? Most pharmacists don’t have the training to start a new service, implement it, or get paid for it. This training offers a direct path to providing reimbursable services, which helps pharmacists avoid pitfalls of the self-taught route.
There is not an online community for this training program yet (August 2022). Content and features will be added after the course launches in Fall 2022. The initial investment is $1,500 for lifetime access (August 2022).
Pharmacists and courses in the Back-to-School Series on The Pharmacist’s Voice ® Podcast
- Dr. Beju Shah, Pharmacy Informatics Academy
- Dr. Blair Thielemier, Pharmapreneur Academy
- Dr. Jimmy Pruitt, Pharmacy and Acute Care University
- Dr. Asha Bohannon, Impact Pharmacist Online Program & PGX Ally Program
- Dr. Adam Martin, Script Your Brand Online Course
- Dr. Kelley Carlstrom, PharmD, Enjoy Learning Oncology Courses (ELO) (Note: there are three tiers of this course)
- Dr. Stu Beatty, The Pharmacist Provider (New online course coming out around Sept 2022)
- Dr. Ashley Walker, Speed Signing with Dr. Ashley R. Walker. She teaches American Sign Language
- Kim Newlove, RPh. A Behind-the-Scenes Look at The Pharmacist’s Voice Podcast
🖥Check out Kim’s websites, and connect with her on social media!
✅Business website https://www.thepharmacistsvoice.com
✅The Pharmacist’s Voice ® Podcast https://www.thepharmacistsvoice.com/podcast
✅Pronounce Drug Names Like a Pro © Online Course https://www.kimnewlove.com
✅ACX (Audiobook Narrator Profile) https://www.acx.com/narrator?p=A10FSORRTANJ4Z
Thank you for listening to episode 172 of The Pharmacist’s Voice ® Podcast!