Up first in my Summer 2023 Pharmacist Authors Series is Salam Kabbani, PharmD. She wrote COVID Long-Hauler: My Life Since COVID and narrated the audiobook. A sample of her audiobook is included at the end of the episode.
Salam Kabbani, PharmD is an infectious diseases pharmacy specialist at Olathe Medical Center in the greater Kansas City area. Her experience with long-COVID disability motivated her to write a memoir about her experiences so she can spread empathy by sharing her honest human experience. She is very passionate about advocating for patients and is currently working on a new series highlighting long-COVID symptoms and different strategies to mitigate them. Outside of pharmacy she is an avid reader and shares book recommendations on her Bookstagram and blog. She loves to be outdoors and takes every opportunity she can to go hiking when her health permits. She works part-time at Club Pilates and considers this her “fun job”, and she truly believes that reformer pilates has helped recover some of her strength after long-COVID. She lives with her cat Luna and feels grateful for every experience life has to offer her. She loves connecting with people, and especially long-haulers, and would love to hear your stories, answer any questions, or just chat through any of the links below!
Instagram: @theunabridgedlifeofsalamacita, @longhaulerchronicles, @lunathemarblekitten (just for fun, follow Salam’s cat on Instagram!)
Amazon link: https://a.co/d/22ICOMr
Audiobook – iTunes and Audible.
Subscribe to or Follow The Pharmacist’s Voice Podcast!
COVID Long-Hauler: My Life Since COVID is available in print and audio. Visit Global Bookshelves International (publisher), Amazon, or Barnes and Noble to purchase your printed copy today! The audiobook is available through Audible and iTunes. I listened to the audiobook, and I enjoyed it! ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
During the second half of our interview, Salam talked about her experience narrating her audiobook. Because it’s a memoir, she wanted to narrate it herself. According to Salam, it was a challenge, but she’s glad she did it. Her goal was to release the print and audiobook versions at the same time, but the print version was first to market. Her 3 hour audiobook took 6 hours of recording time (not all in one day).
Salam’s advice to other pharmacist authors who want to narrate their own audiobook:
- Prepare: Practice, hydrate, and allow plenty of time to record.
- Pick your most energetic/refreshed time of the day to record. (Avoid recording after your work day.)
- Pick a studio you’re comfortable with. Make sure you can sit comfortably and place your reading materials in front of you.
- Find an engineer who is experienced with recording, editing, and producing audio files to the specifications you need. Cautionary tale: The first engineer Salam worked with recorded the entire book, but he did not finalize her files to specs; he was inexperienced. Salam needed help from a second audio engineer – Julie Walthers from Whole Story Studio. With Julie’s help, Salam’s files passed ACX specs, and publishing the audiobook went smoothly.
Can you help the author out?
- If you know of a book group or support group who might like COVID Long Hauler: My Life Since COVID, recommend it to them. They could read it and have a discussion.
- If you know of a podcast that could interview Salam about her book, please nominate her to the host or let Salam know about the podcast. LinkedIn messages work well.
- If you know someone who would like Salam’s book, please share it with them. Thank you!
Links from this episode (links are throughout this blog post too)
Global Bookshelves International https://globalbookshelves.com/
COVID Long-Hauler: My Life Since COVID (Amazon link for print and audio versions)
Audiobook can be purchased through iTunes and Audible.
✅Business website https://www.thepharmacistsvoice.com
✅The Pharmacist’s Voice ® Podcast https://www.thepharmacistsvoice.com/podcast
✅Pronounce Drug Names Like a Pro © Online Course https://www.kimnewlove.com
✅ACX (Audiobook Narrator Profile) https://www.acx.com/narrator?p=A10FSORRTANJ4Z
Dates, authors, and book titles in the Pharmacist Authors Series on The Pharmacist’s Voice Podcast:
June 19, Interview with Sue Ojageer, PharmD on her children’s book The Pharma Heroes: The Power of Precision Medicine
June 26, Interview with Christina Fontana, PharmD about her book Moving Beyond the Counter: Elevating into Heart-Centered Health Care through Entrepreneurship
July 10, Interview with Cory Jenks, PharmD about his book Permission to Care: Building a Healthcare Culture That Thrives in Chaos
July 14, Interview with Donna Bartlett, PharmD about her book MedStrong: Shed Your Meds for a Better, Healthier You
July 17, Interview with Frieda Wiley, PharmD about her book Telecommuting Psychosis: From Surviving to Thriving While Working in Your Pajama Pants. Plus, we touch on her 3 children’s books in development.
July 21, Interview with Tim Ulbrich, PharmD about his book Seven Figure Pharmacist: How to Maximize Your Income, Eliminate Debt, and Create Wealth
July 24, Interview with LaQuoia Johnson, PharmD about her book How Rxacism Manifests Inside the Small World of Pharmacy
July 28, Pharmacist Authors Series wrap-up (solo show)
Thank you for listening to episode 221 of The Pharmacist’s Voice ® Podcast!