I’m celebrating my 3-year podcasting anniversary! I share the history of the podcast, stats, who I am, the type of work I do, insights I’ve gained over the last three years in podcasting, and what’s next as I begin my fourth year in podcasting.
Highlights from this episode
The first episode was December 4, 2019, but my podcasting anniversary is the last solo show each January because that’s when I started publishing shows on a weekly basis.
Dr. Erin L. Albert inspired me to look into starting a podcast. As I searched for my “why” for starting a podcast, I decided mine should be a business tool. I have a business with a podcast.
What do I get out of it? Branding, marketing, and networking. I’m a pharmacist, voice actor, podcast host, and thought leader on the topic of drug name pronunciations. I talk about my business and the work I do during some solo shows. I network when I interview guests.
What do listeners get out of listening to the podcast? I have a journey-style podcast. Listeners get to witness my journey from pharmacist to voice actor and podcast host and see what is involved in being a second-career individual. They also get to hear how my guests use their voices to advocate for something, educate in some way, and/or entertain.
What do I want listeners to do with the information? I want them to witness my journey/recognize my brand and be inspired to share their passions and strengths too.
Who is my target audience? Pharmacists, pharmacy students, pharmacy technicians, pharmacy professors, pharmacist podcasters, and voice actors in the medical space. (But, anyone is welcome to listen!)
Stats: I have published 196 episodes to date. 102 have been solo shows (including this one). 94 have been interview shows. Comparison is the thief of joy. If you’re a podcaster, and you are comparing your stats to mine, don’t let my numbers steal your joy.
Who is Kim Newlove? I’m a pharmacist, voice actor, podcast host wife, mom of two teen boys, and volunteer. I live in the Toledo Ohio area. I am 44 years old; my husband is 47; and our kids are 19 and 17. I graduated from The University of Toledo College of Pharmacy with my BS Pharm in 2001.
How did I become a voice actor? I enjoyed reading to my son Kraig so much that I decided to create a narration business. At first, I wanted to narrate pharmacy CE journals into audio format. I couldn’t find any buyers, so I pivoted to medical narration, narrating audiobooks, etc.
Realizations from the last 3 years in podcasting
- I love my drug name pronunciation series!
- I had to overcome the little voice in my head that makes me feel uncomfortable about being self-promotional. I care more about the outcome of promoting myself more than I care about being comfortable in silence. We don’t grow from our comfort zones!
- I enjoy publishing series of podcast episodes, like the Pharmacist Moms Series, the Pharmacist Dads Series, the Back-to-School Series, and more.
What’s coming up in my 4th year of podcasting?
- More solo shows and interview shows.
- More series! Drug name pronunciations monthly, Pharmacist Authors Series in June, Back-to-School Series in August, and a pharmacist podcasters series in October or November.
- I’m keeping my eyes and ears out for opportunities. My podcasting coach, Dave Jackson from the School of Podcasting, says that it takes three years for something to happen because of your podcast.
Subscribe to or Follow The Pharmacist’s Voice Podcast!
Links from this episode
Dr. Erin L. Albert inspired me to look into starting a podcast in April 2019.
Covid Long Hauler: My Life Since Covid by Salam Kabbani, PharmD
Dave Jackson from the School of Podcasting is my podcasting coach.
🖥Check out Kim’s websites, and connect with her on social media!
✅Business website https://www.thepharmacistsvoice.com
✅The Pharmacist’s Voice ® Podcast https://www.thepharmacistsvoice.com/podcast
✅Pronounce Drug Names Like a Pro © Online Course https://www.kimnewlove.com
✅ACX (Audiobook Narrator Profile) https://www.acx.com/narrator?p=A10FSORRTANJ4Z
Thank you for listening to episode 196 of The Pharmacist’s Voice ® Podcast!