Each Friday in June 2022, I’m publishing an interview with a pharmacist dad in honor of Father’s Day, which is Sunday, June 19. This episode is an interview with Mike Koelzer, RPh. During the first half of our conversation, we discuss how Mike uses his voice as a pharmacist. In the second half, we focus on Mike’s role as a Dad.
Thank you for listening to episode 157 of The Pharmacist’s Voice ® Podcast!
Mike Koelzer is the host of The Business of Pharmacy Podcast, an interesting and entertaining weekly podcast discussion on the business of pharmacy. In addition to hosting the podcast, Mike Koelzer owns an independent pharmacy in Grand Rapids, Michigan. When not working, Mike enjoys improving his sight-reading at the piano.
Links from this episode
Mike Koelzer’s LinkedIn Profile
The Business of Pharmacy Podcast™️ LinkedIn Page
The Business of Pharmacy Podcast ™️ website
The Business of Pharmacy Podcast™️ Twitter Link
The Business of Pharmacy Podcast™️ Instagram Page
The Business of Pharmacy Podcast™️ TikTok Page
The Business of Pharmacy Podcast™️ Facebook Page
The Business of Pharmacy Podcast™️ YouTube Channel
Kim Newlove interview with Mike Koelzer on The Business of Pharmacy Podcast (October 2020)
Sidewalk Squares: Lessons From Life by Mike Koelzer (Kindle Edition)
Dad Taught Me How to Steal: Lessons From Business by Mike Koelzer (Kindle Edition)
Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity by David Allen
Scribd (online sheet music)
🖥Check out Kim’s websites, and connect with her on social media!
✅Business website https://www.thepharmacistsvoice.com
✅The Pharmacist’s Voice ® Podcast https://www.thepharmacistsvoice.com/podcast
✅Pronounce Drug Names Like a Pro © Online Course https://www.kimnewlove.com
✅ACX (Audiobook Narrator Profile) https://www.acx.com/narrator?p=A10FSORRTANJ4Z
✅Start a podcast with the same coach who helped me get started (Dave Jackson from The School of Podcasting)! **Affiliate Link**
Highlights from our conversation
How does Mike use his voice as a pharmacist?
- Mike owns an independent pharmacy in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
- He has been featured on local media in Grand Rapids, MI.
- On The Business of Pharmacy Podcast™️, Mike and his guests talk [broadly] about The Business of Pharmacy. It’s mostly an interview show. Mike and his guests also discuss the fringe topics in pharmacy: marketing, finance, psychology, public speaking, and all the things Mike is interested in as a pharmacy owner.
- Mike is an author. Two of his books can currently be found on amazon.com (June 2022). They are Sidewalk Squares: Lessons From Life by Mike Koelzer (Kindle Edition) and Dad Taught Me How to Steal: Lessons From Business by Mike Koelzer (Kindle Edition).
- Mike also wrote and recorded some songs. There is no link to them online.
Mike and his wife have 10 children: 5 boys and 5 girls. They range from 11-29 years old. One is married. No grandchildren yet.
During the second half of the interview, we focused on Mike’s role as a father. We discussed a range of topics, including:
- How to know when it’s time to start a family
- How many kids to have
- Challenges Mike has faced as a Dad
- Favorite things about being a Dad
- Keeping promises
- A surprising expense associated with raising his kids
- A book suggestion
- Sight-reading piano music
- Balancing work and family
- Advice for current or prospective Pharmacist Dads
Thank you Mike for being my guest on The Pharmacist’s Voice® Podcast episode 157! Happy Father’s Day to the Dads reading this!! 🎉